Special Education Technician Application
Admission Requirements and Decisions can be found at the bottom of this page.
1. Certification Central (CC) is an enroll anytime program with no deadlines. After you submit the
completed application, you will be notified of our admission decision within 1 week.
2. You must have earned a high school diploma or an equivalent. Verification needs to be submitted. Also,
if you have attended any postsecondary training, please upload your unofficial transcript(s).
3. You must pass a recent FBI background check (no older than 3 months). Start this application early as
you are going to need to ensure you have a completed background check. Such a check can take weeks
to complete. Use the following link to request an FBI Background check. Be sure to read through the
instructions carefully. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks Attach the
receipt of a cleared background check in your application.
4. You need 2 professional letters of recommendation that speak to your experiences or interests in the
field of special education. Please avoid submitting references from friends and family. You will collect
these letters then submit them when you complete the application.
5. You will write a 2-page essay that answers the following questions:
• What experiences have you had working in an educational setting?
• Why do you want to become a special education technician?
After reviewing your application, an admission decision will be made to include one of the following:
- Full Admission to the Program: This means you will have access to all training modules in the program with no restrictions.
- Provisional Admission to the Program: This means you will be permitted to take one training module. You must complete this module with a rating of Proficient (4.0) then you will earn full admission to the program.
- Denied Admission to the Program: This means you did not meet the requirements of the program. You will be provided with the reason for the denial.